Skip to main content

How to reject someone in a decent way?




Life situations will ask some help from others. Book sales can't exist without buyers, and authors need mutual collaboration and networking.

We must make a difference between partnership and force. Sometimes, you will get an offer from a stranger author or blogger, to buy their books or to pay for the review.

First example: an author tagged me with his book link. I said I am too busy to read, and he said I am arrogant and offended me public. I felt his despair to sell his book, but it was not the way.

In a lack of time, we will reject many people who ask for something.

Second example: a woman on Instagram sends me a message. She wanted me to participate in her promotion, and share her link around. After she repeated her request I said she is annoying. I did not know her before and it was too much. She started with insults about how I am not famous and that I am rude because I did not help her.

Authors are targets and we are targetted from many sources.

Scammers want to make book piracy.

Some readers want payment for their reviews.

Book services want to earn from authors, offering their too-expensive promotions for a small book sale.

Cover creators want to earn by offering expensive covers.

Editors can be expensive and their services are not always qualitative. Sometimes, after the editor service, you will need a new editor.

In this situation, you must stand firm. Rejecting someone in a decent way is the best option. The person will learn the lesson after their disappointment. The world is not spinning about someone who wants to promote their work.

You will not gain enemies, and this request will not repeat, unless you have to deal with lunatics.

Here is an example:

Question: "Can you read my book? Can you give me a review?"

Answer: "I am sorry, I am in lack time. My TBR list is too long, and I have a new manuscript to write."

Sometimes, you can offer a positive answer with delay. "I can't do it right now, but I will be available for two weeks."

Don't offer fake promises you can't realize. "I will read it soon." It happens that you never read the book, and you made a promise.

Saying NO is a part of the author's business. If we should please every request, we would never have time for ourselves.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 kind of editors you can meet

When you are an indie author, you will need editing. That means you will hire an editor who should be professional, American or British. Sending your book to editing doesn't mean your job is over. If you take edited book for granted, you might be unpleasantly surprised. If you look on Amazon shelves, every second book has a comment about "bad editing". It happens even to successful writers.  What is important is to spend your money for editing in smart way. If you pay, you need to get edited book in return. The way how some editors work is various, and some of them might disappoint you. What kind of editors you can meet? Slow editor . You submitted your book for editing before two months, it still did not arrive. When you impatiently wait to publish your book, time is precious. Fast editor . This editor will bring you back your book for 24 hours. It is not serious work. Even if English is your mother tongue, there are still mistakes you might not seen. It looks like someo

My new horror novel

A horror suspense is my favorite genre. This Friday is my new book release by Red Cape Publishing, a British publisher. It is a story about Alex, a woman who has a brain tumor.  Committing a crime, she will escape and hide in Cornwall.  Meeting a rich businessman, she got an opportunity to change her life.  A generous offer has a price. Alex has only one choice, to be the hunter or the prey. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CV17HRLP

Social media: how to react to negative comments?

The virtual world became a platform where people expose their frustrations. If you post something positive, you will not get reaction. Ignorance is mostly present when you express your happiness. If you post something that irritates people, you will get negative reactions. Many young users use internet to write negative comments, put dislikes and troll others. We are witnesses to young generation who is angry, passive and without a purpose. You Tube opted out dislikes for public. You can see in your private statistic a number of dislikes.  Some people have a bad humor and don't have a clue how their reaction can hurt others. You will tell me this is a freedom of speech and free choice, but also as an owner of my profiles in social media I have right to restrict negative comments. I am against censoring and dictatorship and every critic is welcome, but I don't tolerate rude and abusive behavior. Besides, if someone leave a negative, rude comment, that gives an ugly example to ot