Skip to main content

A difference between public and private profiles in social media






Did you ever ask yourself about difference between private and public in social media?

I suppose you have profiles in Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Tik Tok etc. You can pick among private and public option in your settings.

Making your profile public have some advantages and failures.

Public profiles are getting a bigger visibility and more followers.

Public profiles attract a bigger audience that means a bigger number of shares and likes.

Public profiles reveals more about a creator so audience has a bigger confidence.


Failures: if you go public, you will attract spammers and stalker. Maybe some unwanted, familiar person can see everything you post.

A malicious person can copy your content.

You are exposed to haters.


Making a profile private means some positive experience:

Your level of safety is bigger.

You can show your content only to your chosen audience.

Potential followers needs your approval.

Your content is limited so every unwanted comment will not show up.


Failures:

Your profile is hidden, so your content might not be popular.

Your potential sales will be lower because public is not seeing your content.

Maybe you can miss some interesting people.


Your will decide about your appearance in social media. Are you better safe than popular? Are you addicted to attention?

Pick up your option. 


You might decide for both, depends on your mood. Sometimes is the moment to hide, to be on distance. Then you can pick private.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should we respond to negative reviews?

Recently I had a discussion in my social media about negative ratings. There was a situation in Goodreads, where I got two negative reviews on my two books. The point was in the way how the ratings were set up. First rating for my book "Body in the waves" was placed under 5-star review from another reviewer. While the reviewer praising my book, the troll came under to say "This is really bad book." Second rating was described as " Poor author needs writing lessons." Both reviews broke standards of reviewing, because there is no visible evidence that book was downloaded in Kindle unlimited or purchased. It was a clear troll act from a new page, without a profile photo and with a nickname. I reported this to Goodreads and they responded me they are processing this. Meanwhile, I heard from other authors that Goodreads failed to do anything about trolling.  In these terms, Goodreads should delete such profiles and forbid the access because of breaking rules. T...

Why the refund is damaging indie authors?

I understand someone can be disappointed with a book. It is like I was disapointed with my trousers online and returned it. What makes a difference, my trousers were 40 euros. The book was 2.49 cents. This makes return funny, because what can you do with this money? Some readers don't understand story behind the refund. The author will get minus royalties. - 0.13 c in my Kindle report, that will vanish when someone else buy the book. The situation happens. Someone accidentaly clicked and bought a book. A random customer wants a refund. Maybe it was not a random move. Maybe the customer clicked, bought and did not like the book. When you don't like the book choose another options, instead of damaging authors. Write a negative review. Write negative one star rating. Don't purchase another books from this author. Or, maybe to reconsider and read it, again? If you write negative reviews or rate it with 1 or 2 stars, you are making a favor to authors. You are moving algorithms i...

Five myths about promo sites

Recently I asked for a featured Bookbub deal for one of my books. I got response that my book should be free priced and my expense would be 230 dollars. This is really funny, because I could expect people grab my book for free and give me one star (as it happens when books are available for everyone). To pay such amount of money would be waste and without a purpose. I am mix of traditional and indie author. Having a publisher, but not bestseller books, I am looking for ways to increase my book sales. Promo sites like Bookbub are very expensive and they offer their deals for 25% books from authors who applied for this. I had an insight to author's books who grabbed Bookbub deals. It works will authors who are already selling a good amount of their books. In general, promo sites are not working for favor of indie authors. These are five myths about promo sites: Promo sites give many readers. It is not true, because you will get visibility and many trolls, but not readers. Promo sites...