Skip to main content

Do you more give or take?




Quid pro quo, that is an old Latin proverb. It means, gives and take. If you ask for a favor, I will do it, but next time I will need feedback. If you don't want to help me I will consider you as selfish. Ask next time something from me and you will not get it.

Human relations should be based on reciprocity, as we have two hands on one body. I give you love and I expect your love for return. I am loyal to you, I will not screw you, but also I am not a fool. If you think that I am not worthy of your respect and loyalty, for sure I will know this and you will lose my affection.

A selfish person will hardly understand the meaning of reciprocity. So, I am used that others please to my wishes. It comes out from childhood. Mother made a cake for me but I don't want to wash dishes. She will wash instead of me. My friend did my homework because I did not know-how. She asked me to borrow her skirt, but I can't do this, I don't lend my clothes. A selfish person is a one-sided personality. That kind of person will receive but never give for return. She has always right and only her opinion is important. As dictators in history, that people are masters and others are slaves. 

Selfishness will exist so long until others will accept her existence. Sonia lives with mother even she has 40 years. So her mother is doing all kinds of job in this flat, but Sonia always paint nails, read and she is a princess who would make her hands dirty with this kind of work. One day mother got sick, and Sonia was forced to cook her tea and make lunch. Then she saw her selfishness. Mother could die and her last act would be making a favorite meal for Sonia.

We cannot be soft accord selfish people. They must be faced with their character. If you do accord their wishes, you will never warn on your rights and needs. Indeed, you don't exist if your boyfriend or friend did nothing for you, to make you happy. 

Reactions might be various. Egocentric will swallow bitter mug.

They can make angry. What, this is thanks for me because I am your friend 10 years? I can't guess what you wish. 

They can feel guilty. Sorry, I did not know that my acts hurt you. I will try to make it better.

They will not admit. No, this is not true. I do things for you but you don't see this.

They can ask for a replacement. Well, if you are not satisfied with me, I will find another friend. I will find another woman who will make me happy. Someone will appreciate me more than you.

What is the reason for other selfishness? A simple example from the virtual world. People ask for likes on their pages but they don't want to give likes for return. Why is that?

Some conclusions:

Well, I can't promise you to return. If you wish like my page if you don't want no problem. 
I am famous, so you need to kiss my knees, be happy because you are my friend.
I am too busy with myself, I have no time for others.

In general, selfishness is ugly. You do many efforts to make close with a selfish person, but she underestimates you. In the end, you feel like an idiot. 

The opposite, when you have a friend who understands the principle of reciprocity, you feel as you found your lost part. You give and receive. This is spontaneous, you don't need to force or beg, simply that person knows that you are happy with such treatment.

Give and don't expect nothing for return is an incomplete thought. Maybe you don't expect but for sure you will be disappointed if you don't get what you wanted. Or, you are asking in the wrong place?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should we respond to negative reviews?

Recently I had a discussion in my social media about negative ratings. There was a situation in Goodreads, where I got two negative reviews on my two books. The point was in the way how the ratings were set up. First rating for my book "Body in the waves" was placed under 5-star review from another reviewer. While the reviewer praising my book, the troll came under to say "This is really bad book." Second rating was described as " Poor author needs writing lessons." Both reviews broke standards of reviewing, because there is no visible evidence that book was downloaded in Kindle unlimited or purchased. It was a clear troll act from a new page, without a profile photo and with a nickname. I reported this to Goodreads and they responded me they are processing this. Meanwhile, I heard from other authors that Goodreads failed to do anything about trolling.  In these terms, Goodreads should delete such profiles and forbid the access because of breaking rules. T...

Why the refund is damaging indie authors?

I understand someone can be disappointed with a book. It is like I was disapointed with my trousers online and returned it. What makes a difference, my trousers were 40 euros. The book was 2.49 cents. This makes return funny, because what can you do with this money? Some readers don't understand story behind the refund. The author will get minus royalties. - 0.13 c in my Kindle report, that will vanish when someone else buy the book. The situation happens. Someone accidentaly clicked and bought a book. A random customer wants a refund. Maybe it was not a random move. Maybe the customer clicked, bought and did not like the book. When you don't like the book choose another options, instead of damaging authors. Write a negative review. Write negative one star rating. Don't purchase another books from this author. Or, maybe to reconsider and read it, again? If you write negative reviews or rate it with 1 or 2 stars, you are making a favor to authors. You are moving algorithms i...

Five myths about promo sites

Recently I asked for a featured Bookbub deal for one of my books. I got response that my book should be free priced and my expense would be 230 dollars. This is really funny, because I could expect people grab my book for free and give me one star (as it happens when books are available for everyone). To pay such amount of money would be waste and without a purpose. I am mix of traditional and indie author. Having a publisher, but not bestseller books, I am looking for ways to increase my book sales. Promo sites like Bookbub are very expensive and they offer their deals for 25% books from authors who applied for this. I had an insight to author's books who grabbed Bookbub deals. It works will authors who are already selling a good amount of their books. In general, promo sites are not working for favor of indie authors. These are five myths about promo sites: Promo sites give many readers. It is not true, because you will get visibility and many trolls, but not readers. Promo sites...