Skip to main content

How to make a good book review?




I started as an indie author a year ago. Like every writer, I met with various kinds of people. Many of them supported my work, and I am very grateful to them. Also, some authors underestimated me, in a way “you need to learn a lot, to read more books from other authors, don’t rush with your stories. “
Every author needs a review. In this way, a book will get free marketing, because readers will grab a book that is recommended. Which was the movie you last saw in the cinema, and why? For sure, it was the one that the media recommended. Later you decide did you like it or not. The same is with books, you wish to see why people brag about a book, what is so special there? Impressions are very important.
I read and review about 22 books. My intention was to expand my knowledge, improve my English, and help authors dear to me. I chose them by myself because I am allergic to recommendations like: “Read and review my book. Purchase it.” This reminds me of sellers door to door. Those are one, I slam the door in their faces.



If you want to be a helpful reviewer, here are some tips:
Be honest. If you say that something is good and barely worthy of reading, say what you really think. Just say it short and clear. Don’t insult the author personally, because this is unethical.
Don’t talk about yourself and your work in the review. Amazon will get banned if you promote your work under others’ book reviews.
Don’t preach. Every author takes a good effort, hours and hours of writing and editing are in one book, so don’t talk from heights about the book.
Prove that you really read a book. Once a woman wrote a review, negative tips about my book and she admitted that she only read the first chapter. If you did not read the book, you are not qualified to judge the content.
Don’t judge a book by the cover. Once a man reported my book cover, which is symbolic, without reading what is a book about.
If you don’t want to make a review, say it politely to the author by email. Say it short, I don’t like it, I can’t give a review. You need not write the Bible why you don’t like it and burst your ego.
It is important how to say something, not just what you wish to say. If you say “sorry, I think this book needs editing”, it is not the same as you say you have no clue about writing”.
They rejected great authors like Agatha Christie many times before they got famous. You never know how far the author can go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 kind of editors you can meet

When you are an indie author, you will need editing. That means you will hire an editor who should be professional, American or British. Sending your book to editing doesn't mean your job is over. If you take edited book for granted, you might be unpleasantly surprised. If you look on Amazon shelves, every second book has a comment about "bad editing". It happens even to successful writers.  What is important is to spend your money for editing in smart way. If you pay, you need to get edited book in return. The way how some editors work is various, and some of them might disappoint you. What kind of editors you can meet? Slow editor . You submitted your book for editing before two months, it still did not arrive. When you impatiently wait to publish your book, time is precious. Fast editor . This editor will bring you back your book for 24 hours. It is not serious work. Even if English is your mother tongue, there are still mistakes you might not seen. It looks like someo

My new horror novel

A horror suspense is my favorite genre. This Friday is my new book release by Red Cape Publishing, a British publisher. It is a story about Alex, a woman who has a brain tumor.  Committing a crime, she will escape and hide in Cornwall.  Meeting a rich businessman, she got an opportunity to change her life.  A generous offer has a price. Alex has only one choice, to be the hunter or the prey. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0CV17HRLP

Social media: how to react to negative comments?

The virtual world became a platform where people expose their frustrations. If you post something positive, you will not get reaction. Ignorance is mostly present when you express your happiness. If you post something that irritates people, you will get negative reactions. Many young users use internet to write negative comments, put dislikes and troll others. We are witnesses to young generation who is angry, passive and without a purpose. You Tube opted out dislikes for public. You can see in your private statistic a number of dislikes.  Some people have a bad humor and don't have a clue how their reaction can hurt others. You will tell me this is a freedom of speech and free choice, but also as an owner of my profiles in social media I have right to restrict negative comments. I am against censoring and dictatorship and every critic is welcome, but I don't tolerate rude and abusive behavior. Besides, if someone leave a negative, rude comment, that gives an ugly example to ot