Skip to main content

The list of general mistakes for indie authors




It has been three years since I uploaded my first book on Amazon.  If I knew then what I know nowadays, things would be different. 

I made all the possible mistakes that indie authors could do, and this affected my status on Amazon, but not for so long. It was a good lesson.


I did not edit the book. That is why my first review was one star.

I did not order the cover. I use a Kindle pattern cover, that made book looks amateur.

I did not make my Author page on Amazon. 

After this, I gave a book on editing to an editor amateur. Of course, professional editors immediately guessed my editor is not English nor American.

I try to explain to the reviewer that I edited the book later. Never talk to reviewers who give you negative reviews, they will not change their minds. Leave it their opinion, unless they are abusive. 

I was asking for reviews from people I know. There is how I make mistakes because not all people are eligible to give reviews on Amazon. 

I gave my book free to some people, even if they never read or respond with a review.

After this experience, I decided to hire an editor and to be recognizable to my possible audience. I am working on my blurbs, I have a group for writers and I don't waste time on anyone who doesn't get me serious. 


Still, there are some general mistakes that every indie author does. 

This is the way of thinking of someone who never published a book:




I am a good writer, I will publish it on Amazon, and the book will sell immediately.

I will get reviews as soon as my book will be on Amazon.

I need to spam and tag people around because that is how I will sell my book.

I need to pay reviewers.

If people give me critics, they are envious and jealous of my success. 


The process of learning is long, but if you are willing to learn, choose the right cooperators. Don't waste time and money, read books especially if English is not your native language, and be patient. 

Especially, don't disturb people in private messages. If you don't know the author personally, you will be ignored. What you need to ask, say in public. Authors are busy with their projects and they don't have time to teach newbies.

My reviews on Amazon are growing. Thank you.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should we respond to negative reviews?

Recently I had a discussion in my social media about negative ratings. There was a situation in Goodreads, where I got two negative reviews on my two books. The point was in the way how the ratings were set up. First rating for my book "Body in the waves" was placed under 5-star review from another reviewer. While the reviewer praising my book, the troll came under to say "This is really bad book." Second rating was described as " Poor author needs writing lessons." Both reviews broke standards of reviewing, because there is no visible evidence that book was downloaded in Kindle unlimited or purchased. It was a clear troll act from a new page, without a profile photo and with a nickname. I reported this to Goodreads and they responded me they are processing this. Meanwhile, I heard from other authors that Goodreads failed to do anything about trolling.  In these terms, Goodreads should delete such profiles and forbid the access because of breaking rules. T...

Why the refund is damaging indie authors?

I understand someone can be disappointed with a book. It is like I was disapointed with my trousers online and returned it. What makes a difference, my trousers were 40 euros. The book was 2.49 cents. This makes return funny, because what can you do with this money? Some readers don't understand story behind the refund. The author will get minus royalties. - 0.13 c in my Kindle report, that will vanish when someone else buy the book. The situation happens. Someone accidentaly clicked and bought a book. A random customer wants a refund. Maybe it was not a random move. Maybe the customer clicked, bought and did not like the book. When you don't like the book choose another options, instead of damaging authors. Write a negative review. Write negative one star rating. Don't purchase another books from this author. Or, maybe to reconsider and read it, again? If you write negative reviews or rate it with 1 or 2 stars, you are making a favor to authors. You are moving algorithms i...

Five myths about promo sites

Recently I asked for a featured Bookbub deal for one of my books. I got response that my book should be free priced and my expense would be 230 dollars. This is really funny, because I could expect people grab my book for free and give me one star (as it happens when books are available for everyone). To pay such amount of money would be waste and without a purpose. I am mix of traditional and indie author. Having a publisher, but not bestseller books, I am looking for ways to increase my book sales. Promo sites like Bookbub are very expensive and they offer their deals for 25% books from authors who applied for this. I had an insight to author's books who grabbed Bookbub deals. It works will authors who are already selling a good amount of their books. In general, promo sites are not working for favor of indie authors. These are five myths about promo sites: Promo sites give many readers. It is not true, because you will get visibility and many trolls, but not readers. Promo sites...