Skip to main content

If you are good at something, don't do it for free




Many indie authors offer their books for free in the hope of getting reviews. It is a noble guest and generous, but there is no profit from this in the long term.

Why? People will get a book free, and then they will not leave a review. Sometimes you can get a review if you repeat you need it, or if a person is your friend, but unknown people are not obligated to review, so in general, they will not do it.

If you show your audience they can get every book for free, you show they don't need to pay for your work. It is not about money, it is about your rating. You invested in your book, cover, formatting, and editing, and now you should give a book for free?

Indie books are cheap. The E-book is between 0.99 cents and 3.45 dollars, and this is small money. Kindle will take their percentage, and you can't get much. But, your product must have a price, you are not a charity. Even if this price is symbolic, still your product is marked for sale.



Ask people, do they remember how much money they spent by year, buying unnecessary products they will not use? How much nail polish do women buy, how many cigarettes do people smoke, and why do you need to see a new lipstick from Kyle Jenner and pay for this?

If you are always the person who does everything for free, you are showing your character, as someone who doesn't know his worth:

You are afraid to ask to get paid.

You think you are not good enough to get paid.

You think this is not well mannered to ask for payment.

Whatever you do, you are spending your time. If this time is just for free, you could use it for something else. 

Successful people are not rude. They are not greedy either. They just know their value, and they will refuse to do something for free. You are buying bread in the bakery, did you get it for free? No, I don't think so. 

Show your financial intelligence. Invest, prove your skills, and start your sale. 


Comments

Eva Pasco said…
I agree wholeheartedly.

Popular posts from this blog

Should we respond to negative reviews?

Recently I had a discussion in my social media about negative ratings. There was a situation in Goodreads, where I got two negative reviews on my two books. The point was in the way how the ratings were set up. First rating for my book "Body in the waves" was placed under 5-star review from another reviewer. While the reviewer praising my book, the troll came under to say "This is really bad book." Second rating was described as " Poor author needs writing lessons." Both reviews broke standards of reviewing, because there is no visible evidence that book was downloaded in Kindle unlimited or purchased. It was a clear troll act from a new page, without a profile photo and with a nickname. I reported this to Goodreads and they responded me they are processing this. Meanwhile, I heard from other authors that Goodreads failed to do anything about trolling.  In these terms, Goodreads should delete such profiles and forbid the access because of breaking rules. T...

Why the refund is damaging indie authors?

I understand someone can be disappointed with a book. It is like I was disapointed with my trousers online and returned it. What makes a difference, my trousers were 40 euros. The book was 2.49 cents. This makes return funny, because what can you do with this money? Some readers don't understand story behind the refund. The author will get minus royalties. - 0.13 c in my Kindle report, that will vanish when someone else buy the book. The situation happens. Someone accidentaly clicked and bought a book. A random customer wants a refund. Maybe it was not a random move. Maybe the customer clicked, bought and did not like the book. When you don't like the book choose another options, instead of damaging authors. Write a negative review. Write negative one star rating. Don't purchase another books from this author. Or, maybe to reconsider and read it, again? If you write negative reviews or rate it with 1 or 2 stars, you are making a favor to authors. You are moving algorithms i...

Five myths about promo sites

Recently I asked for a featured Bookbub deal for one of my books. I got response that my book should be free priced and my expense would be 230 dollars. This is really funny, because I could expect people grab my book for free and give me one star (as it happens when books are available for everyone). To pay such amount of money would be waste and without a purpose. I am mix of traditional and indie author. Having a publisher, but not bestseller books, I am looking for ways to increase my book sales. Promo sites like Bookbub are very expensive and they offer their deals for 25% books from authors who applied for this. I had an insight to author's books who grabbed Bookbub deals. It works will authors who are already selling a good amount of their books. In general, promo sites are not working for favor of indie authors. These are five myths about promo sites: Promo sites give many readers. It is not true, because you will get visibility and many trolls, but not readers. Promo sites...