Skip to main content

Is there any use of Goodreads?








Every author needs a review. We all know how hard is to find readers who will buy and review your books. Mostly, people expect an ARC copy for free to review your book.

We have 3 groups of readers:

They take a free book, and never review it.

They take a free book and review it on Goodreads or Bookbub or a blog.

They buy the book and leave Amazon reviews.

As every author is dreaming about Amazon reviews, many will get disappointed and try to get satisfaction in Goodreads.

Goodreads is a minefield. There is a big mess that needs admins and bans. Everyone can create a page and leave a one-star review on your book, just to underestimate authors.

Some people go even so far as to ask for money for their reviews or blackmail you to rate you with one star if you don't pay them.

If you are a Goodreads member, you can notice the "currently reading " option. You can hope someone is reading your book. 

Well, about 10 people will mark your book as "to read" or "currently reading" but they will never read it.

There are readers with 10000 books marked as "to read." They are spammers.

Goodreads readers are some people who rate books with 2 or 3 stars, it doesn't matter who is the author. They should be flagged. 

However, is there proof that a Goodreads member is reading your book? Do they read in Kindle Unlimited to increase your KENP?

Do they buy the book?

You can't know it.

What I know for sure, is when I see a blank avatar with a complete book rating of 2.50, this is a troll, not a reader.

Also, Goodreads members are people who rate every book with 5 stars, without an explanation. It is not supporting books, just an attempt to get noticed.

Some Goodreads members come to annoy you privately in messages or invite you to their Giveaway, including you in their promotion, even if you don't know them.

Goodreads review helps if you leave an Amazon review too.

It helps to reach the visibility of the book if your reviewer is an author.

If I can choose, I would like more Amazon reviews, because many authors avoid Goodreads. It is not nice when trolls start to ruin your rating.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should we respond to negative reviews?

Recently I had a discussion in my social media about negative ratings. There was a situation in Goodreads, where I got two negative reviews on my two books. The point was in the way how the ratings were set up. First rating for my book "Body in the waves" was placed under 5-star review from another reviewer. While the reviewer praising my book, the troll came under to say "This is really bad book." Second rating was described as " Poor author needs writing lessons." Both reviews broke standards of reviewing, because there is no visible evidence that book was downloaded in Kindle unlimited or purchased. It was a clear troll act from a new page, without a profile photo and with a nickname. I reported this to Goodreads and they responded me they are processing this. Meanwhile, I heard from other authors that Goodreads failed to do anything about trolling.  In these terms, Goodreads should delete such profiles and forbid the access because of breaking rules. T...

Why the refund is damaging indie authors?

I understand someone can be disappointed with a book. It is like I was disapointed with my trousers online and returned it. What makes a difference, my trousers were 40 euros. The book was 2.49 cents. This makes return funny, because what can you do with this money? Some readers don't understand story behind the refund. The author will get minus royalties. - 0.13 c in my Kindle report, that will vanish when someone else buy the book. The situation happens. Someone accidentaly clicked and bought a book. A random customer wants a refund. Maybe it was not a random move. Maybe the customer clicked, bought and did not like the book. When you don't like the book choose another options, instead of damaging authors. Write a negative review. Write negative one star rating. Don't purchase another books from this author. Or, maybe to reconsider and read it, again? If you write negative reviews or rate it with 1 or 2 stars, you are making a favor to authors. You are moving algorithms i...

Five myths about promo sites

Recently I asked for a featured Bookbub deal for one of my books. I got response that my book should be free priced and my expense would be 230 dollars. This is really funny, because I could expect people grab my book for free and give me one star (as it happens when books are available for everyone). To pay such amount of money would be waste and without a purpose. I am mix of traditional and indie author. Having a publisher, but not bestseller books, I am looking for ways to increase my book sales. Promo sites like Bookbub are very expensive and they offer their deals for 25% books from authors who applied for this. I had an insight to author's books who grabbed Bookbub deals. It works will authors who are already selling a good amount of their books. In general, promo sites are not working for favor of indie authors. These are five myths about promo sites: Promo sites give many readers. It is not true, because you will get visibility and many trolls, but not readers. Promo sites...