Skip to main content

Do you judge book by the cover or not?




What are you reading? Why you chose this book?

I can ask you this question because I want to know, did you pick a book by the cover. 

If you want to watch a movie, you wish to know who are actors and what they look like. You wish to know the content and the plot.

The same is with a book, to pick a book from Kindle or from the library, you wish to see the book.

When the author wishes to sell the book, he must pay attention to the cover. 

What do you need to avoid?

Generic cover from Kindle. Templates that everyone uses because you will get lost in the crowd.

Amateur cover. It means, covers with errors, gloomy, you can't see the title well and it looks like a kid draw it.

Repeating. That cover looks familiar like something you saw before? Probably you did.


If you pick a book by the cover, you are not a shallow person. Nice cover can promise, at least the author took the effort to his book to attract readers.


What I don't like?

Covers without photos, just with letters.

Confusing covers, you expect for example horror, and the story is drama.

Too small letters. Do I need a binocular to see what is written?


A good cover is not a guarantee of a good book. But it intrigues readers. Nowadays, the picture is important because people have no time to read explanations and descriptions. You are visually attracted. 

If you see a badly created cover, you will think the story is not well written. You will think about amateurism and that is not worth buying the book.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should we respond to negative reviews?

Recently I had a discussion in my social media about negative ratings. There was a situation in Goodreads, where I got two negative reviews on my two books. The point was in the way how the ratings were set up. First rating for my book "Body in the waves" was placed under 5-star review from another reviewer. While the reviewer praising my book, the troll came under to say "This is really bad book." Second rating was described as " Poor author needs writing lessons." Both reviews broke standards of reviewing, because there is no visible evidence that book was downloaded in Kindle unlimited or purchased. It was a clear troll act from a new page, without a profile photo and with a nickname. I reported this to Goodreads and they responded me they are processing this. Meanwhile, I heard from other authors that Goodreads failed to do anything about trolling.  In these terms, Goodreads should delete such profiles and forbid the access because of breaking rules. T...

Why the refund is damaging indie authors?

I understand someone can be disappointed with a book. It is like I was disapointed with my trousers online and returned it. What makes a difference, my trousers were 40 euros. The book was 2.49 cents. This makes return funny, because what can you do with this money? Some readers don't understand story behind the refund. The author will get minus royalties. - 0.13 c in my Kindle report, that will vanish when someone else buy the book. The situation happens. Someone accidentaly clicked and bought a book. A random customer wants a refund. Maybe it was not a random move. Maybe the customer clicked, bought and did not like the book. When you don't like the book choose another options, instead of damaging authors. Write a negative review. Write negative one star rating. Don't purchase another books from this author. Or, maybe to reconsider and read it, again? If you write negative reviews or rate it with 1 or 2 stars, you are making a favor to authors. You are moving algorithms i...

Five myths about promo sites

Recently I asked for a featured Bookbub deal for one of my books. I got response that my book should be free priced and my expense would be 230 dollars. This is really funny, because I could expect people grab my book for free and give me one star (as it happens when books are available for everyone). To pay such amount of money would be waste and without a purpose. I am mix of traditional and indie author. Having a publisher, but not bestseller books, I am looking for ways to increase my book sales. Promo sites like Bookbub are very expensive and they offer their deals for 25% books from authors who applied for this. I had an insight to author's books who grabbed Bookbub deals. It works will authors who are already selling a good amount of their books. In general, promo sites are not working for favor of indie authors. These are five myths about promo sites: Promo sites give many readers. It is not true, because you will get visibility and many trolls, but not readers. Promo sites...