Skip to main content

Authors: are you objective about your books?




Recently one author on Twitter says how he would be pleased to get 3 stars rating for his books. It is a rare statement and shows maturity because it is not easy to be objective about your books.

Three obstacles to your success in writing are:

Ego. You are persuaded that your books are good.

Inability to receive critics. It is hard to digest critics, but it is a way to progress.

Passivity. If you just sit and wait for someone to buy your books, you will not have success.

There is a saying that an author must have thick nerves and a good stomach. I remember when a woman says to my book "sounds like a horrible book with a horrible title." I had no idea why she said this because she did not read it, she saw it in the group and I don't know who she was. That was my first test and I lost nerves and insulted her because I felt hurt.

A professional writer must stay calm, even with trolls. We must know that some people are frustrated and they will do everything to spoil someone's mood. It feeds them. Recently Goodreads published a warning about trolls. 

Another thing is, writing is a journey, not a destination. If you are an author who writes in another language, like it is my case, you will learn a lot. 

Three stars are not a bad review. It shows your reader read a book and noticed you can do better. I would rather receive objective three stars with explanation, than five stars without explanation. I don't like reviews in the form: "Amazing. Must read." I am flattered, but did you read a book? I want to know what fascinated you.

During your writing journey, you can choose to surround yourself with genuine people who will help you. For this, you need to recognize those with good intentions and those who want to use you for money or take advantage of you. People who say nice words are not always genuine. 

When I think about my books, they progressed since the first book is published. I accepted some critics, and it was the key.

If I did not accept some suggestions, I would not progress.

Critics help you to improve your skills and fill blank lines. I don't think I am the best writer in the world, but sure I deserve attention. 

Comments

Eva Pasco said…
As always, your blogs hit the nail.

Popular posts from this blog

Should we respond to negative reviews?

Recently I had a discussion in my social media about negative ratings. There was a situation in Goodreads, where I got two negative reviews on my two books. The point was in the way how the ratings were set up. First rating for my book "Body in the waves" was placed under 5-star review from another reviewer. While the reviewer praising my book, the troll came under to say "This is really bad book." Second rating was described as " Poor author needs writing lessons." Both reviews broke standards of reviewing, because there is no visible evidence that book was downloaded in Kindle unlimited or purchased. It was a clear troll act from a new page, without a profile photo and with a nickname. I reported this to Goodreads and they responded me they are processing this. Meanwhile, I heard from other authors that Goodreads failed to do anything about trolling.  In these terms, Goodreads should delete such profiles and forbid the access because of breaking rules. T...

Why the refund is damaging indie authors?

I understand someone can be disappointed with a book. It is like I was disapointed with my trousers online and returned it. What makes a difference, my trousers were 40 euros. The book was 2.49 cents. This makes return funny, because what can you do with this money? Some readers don't understand story behind the refund. The author will get minus royalties. - 0.13 c in my Kindle report, that will vanish when someone else buy the book. The situation happens. Someone accidentaly clicked and bought a book. A random customer wants a refund. Maybe it was not a random move. Maybe the customer clicked, bought and did not like the book. When you don't like the book choose another options, instead of damaging authors. Write a negative review. Write negative one star rating. Don't purchase another books from this author. Or, maybe to reconsider and read it, again? If you write negative reviews or rate it with 1 or 2 stars, you are making a favor to authors. You are moving algorithms i...

Five myths about promo sites

Recently I asked for a featured Bookbub deal for one of my books. I got response that my book should be free priced and my expense would be 230 dollars. This is really funny, because I could expect people grab my book for free and give me one star (as it happens when books are available for everyone). To pay such amount of money would be waste and without a purpose. I am mix of traditional and indie author. Having a publisher, but not bestseller books, I am looking for ways to increase my book sales. Promo sites like Bookbub are very expensive and they offer their deals for 25% books from authors who applied for this. I had an insight to author's books who grabbed Bookbub deals. It works will authors who are already selling a good amount of their books. In general, promo sites are not working for favor of indie authors. These are five myths about promo sites: Promo sites give many readers. It is not true, because you will get visibility and many trolls, but not readers. Promo sites...