Skip to main content

How to recognize fake supporters?

 




I have a long TBR list. I made it by myself, nobody pushed me, even some people tried :)

The point is, I support some people. 

I support books I like, these deserve my attention.

If I don't like a book, I will not review it.

Recently I saw Goodreads deleted my 10 ratings. Even though I don't prefer Goodreads, I support this decision because ratings come from people who did not read my books.

That leads me to the question: Why do some people rate books automatically, even if they did not read them?

Do you think you are helping authors? No, you are spamming.

I saw three profiles on Goodreads who did it around. My 12 books got a 5-star rating without explanation. 

I feel the same as they got 1 star. Because I click on these profiles, I saw they rated over a thousand books with 5 stars, again, without explanations.

I understand not everyone is a book lover. Some people want to seek attention, claiming they are reading books. They want to be present in the author's world. 

If you don't read, admit it. It is not a shame. Fake support is damaged.

Authors invest their time and money in books. They want opinions, not numbers. Authors want book sales, not random spam.

How to recognize someone who did not read your book?

A person will say that is a good book, without telling why.

A person will say to everyone their books are good.

A person will offer you his book in exchange to review it. If you don't want to review it, this collaboration is over.

Fake support is like plastic flowers. It doesn't smell, it just looks good. 

Sites such as Amazon and Goodreads, their algorithms will recognize trolling and they will delete it. It is worthless.

If you give an opinion, do it right. Or don't do it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should we respond to negative reviews?

Recently I had a discussion in my social media about negative ratings. There was a situation in Goodreads, where I got two negative reviews on my two books. The point was in the way how the ratings were set up. First rating for my book "Body in the waves" was placed under 5-star review from another reviewer. While the reviewer praising my book, the troll came under to say "This is really bad book." Second rating was described as " Poor author needs writing lessons." Both reviews broke standards of reviewing, because there is no visible evidence that book was downloaded in Kindle unlimited or purchased. It was a clear troll act from a new page, without a profile photo and with a nickname. I reported this to Goodreads and they responded me they are processing this. Meanwhile, I heard from other authors that Goodreads failed to do anything about trolling.  In these terms, Goodreads should delete such profiles and forbid the access because of breaking rules. T...

Why the refund is damaging indie authors?

I understand someone can be disappointed with a book. It is like I was disapointed with my trousers online and returned it. What makes a difference, my trousers were 40 euros. The book was 2.49 cents. This makes return funny, because what can you do with this money? Some readers don't understand story behind the refund. The author will get minus royalties. - 0.13 c in my Kindle report, that will vanish when someone else buy the book. The situation happens. Someone accidentaly clicked and bought a book. A random customer wants a refund. Maybe it was not a random move. Maybe the customer clicked, bought and did not like the book. When you don't like the book choose another options, instead of damaging authors. Write a negative review. Write negative one star rating. Don't purchase another books from this author. Or, maybe to reconsider and read it, again? If you write negative reviews or rate it with 1 or 2 stars, you are making a favor to authors. You are moving algorithms i...

Five myths about promo sites

Recently I asked for a featured Bookbub deal for one of my books. I got response that my book should be free priced and my expense would be 230 dollars. This is really funny, because I could expect people grab my book for free and give me one star (as it happens when books are available for everyone). To pay such amount of money would be waste and without a purpose. I am mix of traditional and indie author. Having a publisher, but not bestseller books, I am looking for ways to increase my book sales. Promo sites like Bookbub are very expensive and they offer their deals for 25% books from authors who applied for this. I had an insight to author's books who grabbed Bookbub deals. It works will authors who are already selling a good amount of their books. In general, promo sites are not working for favor of indie authors. These are five myths about promo sites: Promo sites give many readers. It is not true, because you will get visibility and many trolls, but not readers. Promo sites...