Skip to main content

Why do some readers abuse the refund option?




When you buy the book on Amazon, there is a deadline of 3-5 business days for your refund. So, if you don't like the product, if you think the book is poorly formatted or badly edited, you can ask to return your money.

Everyone has a choice and the product is not always ideal. Some books are poorly formatted. Others are bad edited, or not edited at all.

Sometimes, you will not like the cover or the title. Maybe a cover confused you about the genre. It looks like a horror, but..wait, it is fantasy or romance.

What happens if the refund option is abused?

The reader can buy a book, read it in 3 days and return his money. It is ridiculous if a book is 1.24 (like happened to me) and the reader asks for money back. If you think you can do something with this dollar, go ahead. Take care of your savings.

The refund option is abused as a "free book " option. Do you want a free book this refund is a way to get it and return your money?

To be clear, I can't make a profit of 1.24 dollars. My royalties in this case are 0.38 cents, this can't be lower.

This post is not regretted about the lost earnings. This is an alert for respect. The reader should show respect toward the author who invested his time and money in the book. If you think that is so simple, why don't you try to write your own book? Even better, try to promote your book in the reader's circle, let me see the result.

Remember, your opinion is a statement of your attitude.

 Other readers will like this book because this is their choice. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should we respond to negative reviews?

Recently I had a discussion in my social media about negative ratings. There was a situation in Goodreads, where I got two negative reviews on my two books. The point was in the way how the ratings were set up. First rating for my book "Body in the waves" was placed under 5-star review from another reviewer. While the reviewer praising my book, the troll came under to say "This is really bad book." Second rating was described as " Poor author needs writing lessons." Both reviews broke standards of reviewing, because there is no visible evidence that book was downloaded in Kindle unlimited or purchased. It was a clear troll act from a new page, without a profile photo and with a nickname. I reported this to Goodreads and they responded me they are processing this. Meanwhile, I heard from other authors that Goodreads failed to do anything about trolling.  In these terms, Goodreads should delete such profiles and forbid the access because of breaking rules. T...

Why the refund is damaging indie authors?

I understand someone can be disappointed with a book. It is like I was disapointed with my trousers online and returned it. What makes a difference, my trousers were 40 euros. The book was 2.49 cents. This makes return funny, because what can you do with this money? Some readers don't understand story behind the refund. The author will get minus royalties. - 0.13 c in my Kindle report, that will vanish when someone else buy the book. The situation happens. Someone accidentaly clicked and bought a book. A random customer wants a refund. Maybe it was not a random move. Maybe the customer clicked, bought and did not like the book. When you don't like the book choose another options, instead of damaging authors. Write a negative review. Write negative one star rating. Don't purchase another books from this author. Or, maybe to reconsider and read it, again? If you write negative reviews or rate it with 1 or 2 stars, you are making a favor to authors. You are moving algorithms i...

Five myths about promo sites

Recently I asked for a featured Bookbub deal for one of my books. I got response that my book should be free priced and my expense would be 230 dollars. This is really funny, because I could expect people grab my book for free and give me one star (as it happens when books are available for everyone). To pay such amount of money would be waste and without a purpose. I am mix of traditional and indie author. Having a publisher, but not bestseller books, I am looking for ways to increase my book sales. Promo sites like Bookbub are very expensive and they offer their deals for 25% books from authors who applied for this. I had an insight to author's books who grabbed Bookbub deals. It works will authors who are already selling a good amount of their books. In general, promo sites are not working for favor of indie authors. These are five myths about promo sites: Promo sites give many readers. It is not true, because you will get visibility and many trolls, but not readers. Promo sites...