Skip to main content

6 signs that your readers don't read your book


Your book is live. That day came, and now you need an audience, a reader's community to show interest.

What you need are readers who will read and review your book. The author feel excited like a student who went to the exam and waits for his mark.

In this situation, you are not afraid of negative reviews. What is the point? Sometimes, your readers are not reading your book. They pretend they read, instead of this they are scrolling pages and write reviews, thinking they are doing a favor.

A real reader will need time to read book. It is not fast eating and swallowing, there is much more in reading books.

It demands your time, focus and attention, also understanding. That is why I read 20-30 books per year, I can't do more.

A book review can talk much about reader. If the review is short, it could be a sign that a book is not read. Maybe I am wrong, maybe a reader did not enjoy so he left only a note.

How to know your book is not read?

There are no sign of reading pages in your KENP report. If a person reads with KU, that pages should show.

The review is not verified. If a person bought a book, a review should be verified.

A reviewer did not write a correct name of a main character. 

A reviewer did not write a correct description about a book blurb. 

Sometimes, there is only a mark, without a review. Trolls usually mark one star, without an explanation.

The reviewer wrongly writes a place of action.


Unfortunately, some authors will set up a bait to read your books, in intention to make a deal you read their books. They will scroll to pages to persuade you they were reading. Sometimes, they only read a blurb or a book preview.

A book without reviews is better than a book with many fake reviews. Giving a wrong impression about a book might damage your product.

There is also a case when the author will write a review and admit he did not read a book. Or, that he read a book, but only in half, so he can't read more. This is justified, because at least this is a honest act.



Comments

Eva Pasco said…
A comprehensive and true assessment!

Popular posts from this blog

Should we respond to negative reviews?

Recently I had a discussion in my social media about negative ratings. There was a situation in Goodreads, where I got two negative reviews on my two books. The point was in the way how the ratings were set up. First rating for my book "Body in the waves" was placed under 5-star review from another reviewer. While the reviewer praising my book, the troll came under to say "This is really bad book." Second rating was described as " Poor author needs writing lessons." Both reviews broke standards of reviewing, because there is no visible evidence that book was downloaded in Kindle unlimited or purchased. It was a clear troll act from a new page, without a profile photo and with a nickname. I reported this to Goodreads and they responded me they are processing this. Meanwhile, I heard from other authors that Goodreads failed to do anything about trolling.  In these terms, Goodreads should delete such profiles and forbid the access because of breaking rules. T...

Why the refund is damaging indie authors?

I understand someone can be disappointed with a book. It is like I was disapointed with my trousers online and returned it. What makes a difference, my trousers were 40 euros. The book was 2.49 cents. This makes return funny, because what can you do with this money? Some readers don't understand story behind the refund. The author will get minus royalties. - 0.13 c in my Kindle report, that will vanish when someone else buy the book. The situation happens. Someone accidentaly clicked and bought a book. A random customer wants a refund. Maybe it was not a random move. Maybe the customer clicked, bought and did not like the book. When you don't like the book choose another options, instead of damaging authors. Write a negative review. Write negative one star rating. Don't purchase another books from this author. Or, maybe to reconsider and read it, again? If you write negative reviews or rate it with 1 or 2 stars, you are making a favor to authors. You are moving algorithms i...

Five myths about promo sites

Recently I asked for a featured Bookbub deal for one of my books. I got response that my book should be free priced and my expense would be 230 dollars. This is really funny, because I could expect people grab my book for free and give me one star (as it happens when books are available for everyone). To pay such amount of money would be waste and without a purpose. I am mix of traditional and indie author. Having a publisher, but not bestseller books, I am looking for ways to increase my book sales. Promo sites like Bookbub are very expensive and they offer their deals for 25% books from authors who applied for this. I had an insight to author's books who grabbed Bookbub deals. It works will authors who are already selling a good amount of their books. In general, promo sites are not working for favor of indie authors. These are five myths about promo sites: Promo sites give many readers. It is not true, because you will get visibility and many trolls, but not readers. Promo sites...