Skip to main content

The rules of collaboration in author's world




Finding authors and readers who will share your enthusiasm is a great thing. Collaborating, exchanging ideas and tips is even better.

How the collaboration should look alike:

Improving your writing skills. Reading some books can help you to get inspiration.

Getting important informations. You never know in which way you can promote your books.

Getting some subscribers and followers. Social media can't exist without followers.

Everyone should avoid abuse of collaboration, so these are alerts:

Authors are not your customers. If author is not interested at your books, accept this.

Don't deceive authors that you read their book, if you did not. A Kindle report shows number of pages in Kindle unlimited.

Don't deceive authors that you purchase their books if you did not. A Kindle report shows purchases.


Recommendations to find cover creators and editors are also useful. A future publisher is someone who will come by recommendation.

Remember to:

Respect other's time, they invested it in reading your book.

Accept criticism. Your book is not maybe so good, it needs work. 

Accept delays. You might wait for reviews for months.

Read " about me" in social media. Before you send someone a message, check the information, does this person review and read books. 

Let your messages be short and clear. Nobody have a time for long explanations.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should we respond to negative reviews?

Recently I had a discussion in my social media about negative ratings. There was a situation in Goodreads, where I got two negative reviews on my two books. The point was in the way how the ratings were set up. First rating for my book "Body in the waves" was placed under 5-star review from another reviewer. While the reviewer praising my book, the troll came under to say "This is really bad book." Second rating was described as " Poor author needs writing lessons." Both reviews broke standards of reviewing, because there is no visible evidence that book was downloaded in Kindle unlimited or purchased. It was a clear troll act from a new page, without a profile photo and with a nickname. I reported this to Goodreads and they responded me they are processing this. Meanwhile, I heard from other authors that Goodreads failed to do anything about trolling.  In these terms, Goodreads should delete such profiles and forbid the access because of breaking rules. T...

Why the refund is damaging indie authors?

I understand someone can be disappointed with a book. It is like I was disapointed with my trousers online and returned it. What makes a difference, my trousers were 40 euros. The book was 2.49 cents. This makes return funny, because what can you do with this money? Some readers don't understand story behind the refund. The author will get minus royalties. - 0.13 c in my Kindle report, that will vanish when someone else buy the book. The situation happens. Someone accidentaly clicked and bought a book. A random customer wants a refund. Maybe it was not a random move. Maybe the customer clicked, bought and did not like the book. When you don't like the book choose another options, instead of damaging authors. Write a negative review. Write negative one star rating. Don't purchase another books from this author. Or, maybe to reconsider and read it, again? If you write negative reviews or rate it with 1 or 2 stars, you are making a favor to authors. You are moving algorithms i...

Five myths about promo sites

Recently I asked for a featured Bookbub deal for one of my books. I got response that my book should be free priced and my expense would be 230 dollars. This is really funny, because I could expect people grab my book for free and give me one star (as it happens when books are available for everyone). To pay such amount of money would be waste and without a purpose. I am mix of traditional and indie author. Having a publisher, but not bestseller books, I am looking for ways to increase my book sales. Promo sites like Bookbub are very expensive and they offer their deals for 25% books from authors who applied for this. I had an insight to author's books who grabbed Bookbub deals. It works will authors who are already selling a good amount of their books. In general, promo sites are not working for favor of indie authors. These are five myths about promo sites: Promo sites give many readers. It is not true, because you will get visibility and many trolls, but not readers. Promo sites...