Skip to main content

Why do people underestimate indie authors?




Stereotypes about indie authors are the main obstacle to their success. If you ask an average man about indie authors, he will say: " They are not real authors, because they are not publishing in a traditional way. "

If you go with questions further, there are some myths:

Indie authors should give their books free to readers.

They are not professionals.

They should make the price of books lower. 


Such things I heard so many times. Don't expect your friends will support you if you are on the way to becoming an indie author.

They will say:
"If she can write, I can write too. What do I have because she is an author? Why should I buy her books, she is not famous!"

So, in short, when an indie author publishes his book, he will pay for the cover, formatting, editor, beta reader, and sometimes for book promotion. If you want your product to look good for buyers, you must hire professionals, and it will cost you. After all this, you will meet people who are not willing to give even 2 dollars for your book.

Once I saw the reaction when I put my book at a price of 2.45 dollars. "Wow! It is not free. Isn't it too much for the short story?"

Can you remember how many times you give 2 dollars for things you did not need it? You will give more to beggars, probably. You will buy Kim Kardashian products because she is famous. Also, you will buy a cigarette even this is bad for your health. Well, if you need to buy a book, suddenly there is no money. 

So, why should you buy a book from indie authors?

When you buy a book, you show appreciation for their work.

When you buy a book, you will get someone's experience and a story to read. 

When you buy a book, you can learn about another culture or a different perspective, in a way you did not know it.

When you buy a book, you are supporting authors who are not earning big money. Mostly, they spend more than they earn.

If you are buying a book that is a product from someone you know well, you are showing your loyalty. You are proud of your friend, happy to support them. 

If you buy and review the book, you are participating in the author's work. You help them to know what is good, and what is wrong in their writing. 

It is easy to underestimate others' work, but it is easier to support people. One day you might need support in some of your ideas, too. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should we respond to negative reviews?

Recently I had a discussion in my social media about negative ratings. There was a situation in Goodreads, where I got two negative reviews on my two books. The point was in the way how the ratings were set up. First rating for my book "Body in the waves" was placed under 5-star review from another reviewer. While the reviewer praising my book, the troll came under to say "This is really bad book." Second rating was described as " Poor author needs writing lessons." Both reviews broke standards of reviewing, because there is no visible evidence that book was downloaded in Kindle unlimited or purchased. It was a clear troll act from a new page, without a profile photo and with a nickname. I reported this to Goodreads and they responded me they are processing this. Meanwhile, I heard from other authors that Goodreads failed to do anything about trolling.  In these terms, Goodreads should delete such profiles and forbid the access because of breaking rules. T...

Why the refund is damaging indie authors?

I understand someone can be disappointed with a book. It is like I was disapointed with my trousers online and returned it. What makes a difference, my trousers were 40 euros. The book was 2.49 cents. This makes return funny, because what can you do with this money? Some readers don't understand story behind the refund. The author will get minus royalties. - 0.13 c in my Kindle report, that will vanish when someone else buy the book. The situation happens. Someone accidentaly clicked and bought a book. A random customer wants a refund. Maybe it was not a random move. Maybe the customer clicked, bought and did not like the book. When you don't like the book choose another options, instead of damaging authors. Write a negative review. Write negative one star rating. Don't purchase another books from this author. Or, maybe to reconsider and read it, again? If you write negative reviews or rate it with 1 or 2 stars, you are making a favor to authors. You are moving algorithms i...

Five myths about promo sites

Recently I asked for a featured Bookbub deal for one of my books. I got response that my book should be free priced and my expense would be 230 dollars. This is really funny, because I could expect people grab my book for free and give me one star (as it happens when books are available for everyone). To pay such amount of money would be waste and without a purpose. I am mix of traditional and indie author. Having a publisher, but not bestseller books, I am looking for ways to increase my book sales. Promo sites like Bookbub are very expensive and they offer their deals for 25% books from authors who applied for this. I had an insight to author's books who grabbed Bookbub deals. It works will authors who are already selling a good amount of their books. In general, promo sites are not working for favor of indie authors. These are five myths about promo sites: Promo sites give many readers. It is not true, because you will get visibility and many trolls, but not readers. Promo sites...