Skip to main content

Do you promote your name or your book?




This question made me thinking. Do I need to promote myself or my books? To be genuine, people don't know who am I. I am swimming in the sea of unknown, indie authors. Recently I watched "The housemaid", the movie based on the book Freida Mc Fadden. She is a bestseller author. As much I like the movie, there was something that missed in this story. I watched, a movie about cult, "Manodrome", and I liked it more. 

My point is: I watched many independent movies, based on stories by people who are unknown to public. I don't look who made is, I look for the story. But, I have a feeling, when a bunch of readers scroll on Amazon, they look who is the author. And when they see I am anonymus author, they don't want to give a chance to my books. 

For example, I got 100,000 impression on Amazon ads and 89 clicks on my books. The sale is zero. If I was Freida, it would be blast. 

It tells me something about a human nature. While you are not successful and famous nobody pay attention what are you doing. If the success happens, everyone is around you. This unfair game hits book sales too. 

I am not person who falls on promotion or someone's famous name. Here I am talking about ability of people to look under the surface. People have stereotypes about indie authors, especially if they are not native American or English. I hear them: "Why I would check this Balcan author?"

Reading books from other cultures can spread your mind and learn about different life insights. I watched recently the movie "Sirat". That was exciting to see rave parties from another angle. The same about books, why don't give a chance to different stories?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Should we respond to negative reviews?

Recently I had a discussion in my social media about negative ratings. There was a situation in Goodreads, where I got two negative reviews on my two books. The point was in the way how the ratings were set up. First rating for my book "Body in the waves" was placed under 5-star review from another reviewer. While the reviewer praising my book, the troll came under to say "This is really bad book." Second rating was described as " Poor author needs writing lessons." Both reviews broke standards of reviewing, because there is no visible evidence that book was downloaded in Kindle unlimited or purchased. It was a clear troll act from a new page, without a profile photo and with a nickname. I reported this to Goodreads and they responded me they are processing this. Meanwhile, I heard from other authors that Goodreads failed to do anything about trolling.  In these terms, Goodreads should delete such profiles and forbid the access because of breaking rules. T...

Why the refund is damaging indie authors?

I understand someone can be disappointed with a book. It is like I was disapointed with my trousers online and returned it. What makes a difference, my trousers were 40 euros. The book was 2.49 cents. This makes return funny, because what can you do with this money? Some readers don't understand story behind the refund. The author will get minus royalties. - 0.13 c in my Kindle report, that will vanish when someone else buy the book. The situation happens. Someone accidentaly clicked and bought a book. A random customer wants a refund. Maybe it was not a random move. Maybe the customer clicked, bought and did not like the book. When you don't like the book choose another options, instead of damaging authors. Write a negative review. Write negative one star rating. Don't purchase another books from this author. Or, maybe to reconsider and read it, again? If you write negative reviews or rate it with 1 or 2 stars, you are making a favor to authors. You are moving algorithms i...

Five myths about promo sites

Recently I asked for a featured Bookbub deal for one of my books. I got response that my book should be free priced and my expense would be 230 dollars. This is really funny, because I could expect people grab my book for free and give me one star (as it happens when books are available for everyone). To pay such amount of money would be waste and without a purpose. I am mix of traditional and indie author. Having a publisher, but not bestseller books, I am looking for ways to increase my book sales. Promo sites like Bookbub are very expensive and they offer their deals for 25% books from authors who applied for this. I had an insight to author's books who grabbed Bookbub deals. It works will authors who are already selling a good amount of their books. In general, promo sites are not working for favor of indie authors. These are five myths about promo sites: Promo sites give many readers. It is not true, because you will get visibility and many trolls, but not readers. Promo sites...